– makes 12
- 6 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/ 3 cup (80 ml) boiling water
- 1/ 2 cup (125 g) almond butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/ 2 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- 1 cup (160 g) buckwheat flour
- 1/ 2 cup (80 g) millet flour
- 1/ 4 cup (30 g) arrowroot
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/ 2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of Himalayan salt
- dried currants, for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 180. Lightly grease and line two large baking trays with baking paper.
- Soak the dates in the boiling water in a small bowl for 10 minutes, or until softened.
- Place the softened dates and any remaining liquid, almond butter, maple syrup and vanilla in a food processor or high-speed blender. Blend until smooth.
- Sift the buckwheat and millet flours, arrowroot, ginger, cacao powder, cinnamon, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, nutmeg and salt into a medium bowl. Add the date mixture and stir until it begins to form a dough. Turn out onto a clean kitchen bench and shape into a disc. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Roll the dough out between two sheets of baking paper to approximately 3 mm thick. Using a gingerbread man cookie cutter press out shapes. Arrange on the prepared baking trays. Re-roll any scraps and cut out further men.
- Decorate with currants to make eyes and buttons. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until light golden brown. Leave on the tray to cool slightly. Transfer onto a rack to cool completely.
For more inner beauty recipes, click here.